Writing Survey and Sample
(All students new to SAIL)
1. What are the last three books the student has read?
2. Has the student completed a writing curriculum or taken a writing class during this current school year? If not, when was the last curriculum completed?
3. Has the student completed a grammar curriculum during this current school year? If not, when was the last curriculum completed?
4. What types of essays has the student written in the past (stories, personal narrative, research, etc)?
Please find the class you are registering for and provide a typed sample responding to the corresponding prompt. This should be written without revision or editing by parents in order to present the most accurate picture of student’s writing skills.
5th-7th Writing and Writing I: In one paragraph, write about your favorite book or movie.
Writing II/Writing III: In three paragraphs, choose from one of the following prompts:
1. Describe three possible career paths for your future
2. Write about your favorite book or movie.
3. Write about a significant event in your life and explain what you learned and/or how
It changed you.
World Literature: All students who are registering for a high school literature class at SAIL for the first time, should submit to Mrs. Spence a writing sample of at least three paragraphs responding to a poem or fiction/nonfiction book.
Send samples to:
5th-7th Writing: Mrs Berens
Writing I: Mrs Richardson
Writing II: Mrs Spence
Writing III: Mrs Strimple